Causes and Treatments for Urinary Incontinence in Dogs
Posted on May 16 2018
There are several causes and treatments for urinary incontinence in dogs.
First of all you and your veterinarian should make sure that the problem really is a weak bladder. A weak bladder in dogs can often be misdiagnosed as such when the problem is the dog that is really marking its territory. The problem may also be due to behavioral problems, and it is more common in bitches. How can we tell the difference if you are the owner of a dog with this problem?
Causes and treatment for urinary incontinence in dogs.
1) Your beloved pet is consuming more water than normal. This often leads to urine leakage and the need to urinate frequently. This is often a sign that the dog may have medical problems such as diabetes, kidney failure or hyperthyroidism.
2) If the dog has had recent infections of the urinary tract, this can cause the bladder to weaken. This can be a temporary problem once the infection is cured, especially in younger dogs.
3) In female dogs decreased hormones such as estrogen can result in a weak bladder sphincter causing the dog to urinate more than usual.
4) If your dog has suffered an injury or has been diagnosed with a spinal cord disease this is possibly the cause. Also any injury to the lower back is another possible cause for incontinence.
1) If you suspect that your dog might be suffering from one of these problems, there is a relatively easy procedure your local veterinarian can carry out as a way to define what the cause is. Have your veterinarian do a urinalysis or urine culture in your office. In most cases this will be all that is needed to diagnose the problem correctly. If this does not produce the results to correct the problem, the veterinarian can then do an x-ray and blood test to further reduce the question of why your dog, in fact, has a weak bladder.
2) The normal treatment for a dog with a urinary infection and bladder or infection is through the use of antibiotics. Your veterinarian can also perform surgery to correct a weak bladder sphincter, but this has potential risks and side effects, so you could start the dog's hormone therapy before using surgery as a last resort.
3) There are several medications that can be given if there is no specific cause found. According to an article published on the website
When there is a specific cause it can be identified by the incontinence medications it can be given that they increase the tone of the muscles that control the urine in the bladder. Some drugs that are used for this purpose include estrogens, ephedrine and phenylpropanolamine.
4) If all else fails, you will have to consider using diapers for dogs. These are made to fit all sized dogs comfortably and will have to be changed once a day.
The above are some of the causes and treatments for urinary incontinence in dogs. There are others, and you probably need a veterinarian to solve the problem if it becomes a continuous problem.
Wopet helps pet parents protect their pets more carefully. Wopet offer best automatic dog / cat feeder,fashion dog / cat carrier,dog / cat booster seat when pet parents are out for work or vacation . Wholesale please contact with email@example.com