How to recognize a pregnant dog?
Posted on October 07 2018
It is not always easy to tell if your dog is pregnant or not. Dogs can be discreet, but there are little signs that are no longer in doubt. Between the mating at the time of delivery, you can usually count between 61 and 65 days.
In small breeds , the female bear from 1 to 4 puppies while for the larger breeds range offers between 8 and 12 smaller on average. So, how to recognize a pregnant dog? And above all, what are the physical signals of a bitch in full pregnancy?
How to recognize a pregnant dog
The first signals of a bitch during pregnancy are:
- At the beginning of gestation, some bitches may experience a loss of appetite or lose interest in their meal. It will therefore adapt its diet accordingly.
- The nipples of the dog swell because of the increase of the blood supply in the udders.
- About one month after mating, a vaginal discharge should appear.
- A small period of depression can also be felt
- Before giving birth, the dog will begin to show signs of nesting , scratching the ground or its basket.
What are the veterinary checks to diagnose the gestation of a dog?If you have spotted some of these signals, consult your veterinarian to confirm your suspicions. Several exams can then be lavished on him.
To know if your dog is expecting small, the current method is ultrasound . You can use it from 28 days of gestation. But be careful, it does not tell you the exact number of puppies in the belly of your dog. Finally, you also have the ultrasound test , very reliable, which will also tell you if your dog is pregnant.
Here are the different steps and possible veterinary checks:
- From 21 days, a precise palpation of the abdomen can be performed. This stain is difficult in case of nervousness of the dog or slightly overweight.
- Between 21 and 25 days, tests exist to detect relaxin , a hormone secreted by the female during pregnancy.
- From the 25th day of gestation, you can spot the heartbeat with a stethoscope. However, you will not distinguish the exact number of puppies.
- After 45 days, it is possible to visualize the fetal skeletons and to see precisely the number of puppies . For this, you will need to use radiography . But this method carries risks because of X-rays .