How to understand the body language of your cat?
Posted on January 02 2019
Throughout his life, your cat will not stop wanting to communicate with you. He will try to do this by gestures, his postures, his behavior, but also his sounds, meowing, groaning, screaming. It is important to understand it in order to best meet your expectations.
He purrs, grunts, meows, wiggles his tail, rolls on the ground, claws, brushes the furniture or your legs, rubs his head, his ears are lowered, they tend backwards, his tail is bristling ... You must understand these signals to adapt to your cat's request and meet his needs.
The different behaviors of the cat
- Ears and eyes are linked
Finally, ears that keep moving with dilated pupils may be a sign of anxiety in your cat. He tries to reassure himself.
- His mustaches
In any case, whiskers are a means of communication for your feline. It should not be touched under pain of having an unexpected reaction.
- Its tail
On the other hand, he will express his joy by a rather motionless tail, slightly inclined upward or curved.
Frightened, your cat will fit his tail inside his 2 hind legs. His body is stretched and his hair is herder. He is more on the defensive than in a posture of attack. Conversely, when angry , his tail will be tense, stiff, straight and most of the time wrapped around his body.
Finally, a tail in a low position, stretched, expresses a concentration in the cat.
- Your cat is yawning
- The cat talks to you with his body
- He rubs against your legs. It means that your cat is happy. He wants to share his well-being with his owner. He shows affection and feels ideally in your company.
- If he rolls on the ground in your presence, it is both a sign of submission but also a sign that he is perfectly relaxed in your presence. He knows you perfectly and trusts you.
- He brushes your legs . This is a clue to rubbing against your legs. In addition to showing his affection, he deposits his pheromones, proof that he considers you a part of his territory.
- He puts himself on the back
Be careful, the fact of putting on the back is in no way an invitation to caress her belly. Cats hate touching this part of the body. They can replicate with scratches or bites.
- He licks you
- He licks you because he considers you, just like his mother , as a full member of his family. Thus, he marks you by licking you because he has a blind trust in you.
- This is a sign of recognition, of love . Your cat licks you because he just loves you.
- He shows a sense of security . He feels protected by you and let you know. You tend to appease him , make him less anxious.
- Conversely, some cats tend to lick because they are more tense, stressed, anxious. It is their way of making it known but also of externalizing this feeling.
- Your cat can also lick you because you have an unusual smell on you . You may have come close to an attractive food for him, or you have come into contact with another cat in heat.
It can translate a feeling of well-being, of pleasure . Your cat is happy and that's the way to show it to you or to externalize it. Conversely, they can be synonymous with the suffering experienced by your cat. A psychological suffering as a depression or physical pain as a disease or pain secondary to shock.
For your cat, purring will also be beneficial because most purring produces vibrations that, according to some experts, would speed healing.
- The meowing
This form of language is only used with the human being. Indeed, between them, cats do not meow. They can shout, complain, but use each time other vocalises . On the other hand, it will tend to meow in your presence. What does that mean ?
A rather short meow is a tendency to greet his master, his owner, to greet him. A deeper, longer meowing is often synonymous with a request from your cat, a claim . When your cat has a tendency to meow in an acute way, he can suffer from a disease or a sharp pain . That's the way to complain. The meow is different from the grunt. The latter is used to express his dissatisfaction.
The postures of your cat and their meaning
- Aggressive behavior
- Stressed behavior, worried
- Fearful behavior
- Happy behavior