Learn the order "Do not move" to your dog
Posted on October 18 2018
The "do not move" order is not the dog's favorite exercise, but the posture is required in different situations. With time and work, this order will not only be better integrated by the animal, until its perfect execution, but it will also learn to conform to it without being anxious.
For a dog, his master is the center of the world . One only has to see the welcome he has when he comes home in the evening, after having been separated all day, to remember it. The distance is often experienced as a real tearing by the animal, but it is sometimes necessary.
For his own safety, the dog must know how to remain motionless when his owner orders him . Learning to "do not move " is not the hardest thing to do, but it takes time, patience and lots of repetition. It requires, moreover, the prior integration by the dog of other basic orders, including " seated " and " lying down ". Why do you have to teach your dog not to move to order? How to proceed to initiate this order? That's what we'll see together.
Why is this order so important?
To order his dog to remain motionless on the spot and not to join him, it may seem superfluous and binding for some, but that is not the case at all, quite the contrary.
This posture is adopted for the dog's own safety and that of the people around him.
For example, some establishments refuse access to dogs. To enter and buy something, the owner is obliged to leave his companion on all fours outside . In general, the animal is attached, but some masters choose to leave it without a leash. In either case, learning to "not move" allows the dog to better support this separation and behave properly during the absence of its owner.
A dog attached and not used to staying still will be more likely to get excited, even to be aggressive vis-à-vis passersby. This is a natural reaction in canines, who feel threatened by the lack of possibility of leakage by being tied.
How to proceed?For the first sessions, it is best to perform this exercise in a quiet place , without sources of external solicitations that can divert the attention of the dog or contribute to stress. It is better to start at home . It is only after a few sessions and observing the progress displayed by the dog that it will then be possible to change the environment.
- Start by ordering your dog to sit or lie down
- Start the order "do not move"
- Take a step back and stop him as soon as he starts a movement to join you by sending him a firm " no ". Put it back in its original place and start again
- When he runs and stays there, congratulate him warmly and offer him a candy
- As sessions progress , gradually increase the distance between you and one step each time. You can then increase the difficulty by going in another room while it awaits you on the spot
- Once the exercise is fully integrated at home, you can begin to teach it outside, on the street or in a park, for example