Should I choose a female dog?
Posted on October 06 2018
Male or female? Crucial question that arises in front of any future dog owner who has made his decision about the breed. It is generally advisable for undecided to move towards a dog, but this choice should be made only after knowing the characteristics of the female.
Once the choice of the race has been made, you will have to choose the sex of your dog. Again, your final decision should be after a good reflection based on different criteria and what differentiates females males.
Less sturdy than malesGenerally, the female is always less imposing than the male . It is smaller and lighter, which is a significant aspect when considering adopting a dog of medium or large stature.
You will have to control, carry and hold your dog on a leash . The physical constitution of your companion compared to yours constitutes an important criterion of choice.
A less fiery temperamentMales tend to be more spirited, more active, and more easily distracted than females. The behavior of the latter is therefore easier to manage both daily and during training . Particularly attentive, calm and receptive, they learn faster, especially as they reach their maturity more quickly.
On the other hand, their attitude can undergo some changes during heat.
HeatIn particular, the heat usually starts at the age of one year and then triggers twice a year . They last 3 weeks on average and are divided into three main phases:
- Proliferative phase : marked by blood flows from the vulva, it lasts between 6 and 12 days
- Estrus phase : the female is ready to mate. This phase lasts between 5 and 9 days during which most bitches no longer bleed
- Ovulation : this third and last phase lasts 10 or 11 days
- Heat can be a problem in terms of hygiene . You will, indeed, be brought to clean the stains of blood .
Pathologies specific to femalesFemales, like males, can develop pathologies specific to their sex . A fact to consider when you choose.
Here are a few :
- Nervous pregnancy : the dog displays a behavior and presents physical signs that normally make one think of a pregnancy, whereas this one does not take place. She becomes restless, seems preoccupied, and may experience loss of appetite. Her breasts gain volume and secrete a substance close to milk.
- Uterine diseases : including the pyometra, an infection of the uterus developing 3 to 8 weeks after a heat cycle.
- Breast tumors : more or less serious, they can sometimes result from a nervous pregnancy.