The constipation of the cat
Posted on December 19 2018
Constipation is the result of a bowel movement problem in your cat. The consequences can be more or less serious. What are the signs? From when to react? How to stem this phenomenon? We bring you all the necessary answers.
What is constipation?
The constipation is the result of a decrease in stool with difficulty in extracting . Like in humans, your cat may have temporary constipation or chronic constipation . The feces of your feline will, in the case where it is constipated, infrequent and hard . This is actually a problem of intestinal transit .
In addition to the difficulty or even the impossibility of evacuating its excrement , your cat will suffer from discomfort , cramps or even bloating. When constipation lasts beyond a day and a half, then you must urgently consult your veterinarian.
They can be more or less serious . In some cases, your cat will refuse to bow more than it will be really constipated . This is the case when:
- His litter is dirty . In fact, since she is not clean, he refuses to defecate.
- His litter has just been changed and he does not appreciate his new substrate. The perfume is not the same , it no longer feels on its territory.
- A change in his daily life , like a move or the arrival of a congener in his home.
In the most serious cases, a real constipation can be caused by a concern with its intestinal transit.
- Your cat may lack physical activity . He therefore suffers from a sedentary lifestyle . We note that this phenomenon affects more specifically flat cats that do not go out or little outside. Suddenly, digestion is slow and stools take a long time to come out. If your cat is overweight or obese , then constipation may strike him more frequently.
- An inadequate diet with a lack of fiber . If you feed it exclusively on kibbles , make sure they are good and have a high fiber content. In the opposite case, intestinal transit will suffer. What's more, your cat may not drink enough water . He must dispose of it continually.
- The balls of hair can be formed at the level of its digestive system . This is particularly the case if you have a cat with long hair. When he is washing, he can swallow several. By force, they form balls that will form a plug . In the majority of cases, your cat will regurgitate his hair before they have had time to get there. In others, your cat will not be able to defecate .
- The underlying disease may explain the constipation . A renal failure , the calculations , a tumor or a megacolon may be the cause. It can also be colitis or spinal cord disorders .
- The old age is a plausible explanation.
Several symptoms may suggest constipation .
- Your cat no longer defecates or almost no more.
- The few stools that manage to come out are small, hard and dark .
- When he starts to defecate , he raises his tail and can meow strongly enough . He had trouble getting out of his poop.
- Her belly may be swollen when you feel it.
- It can present a loss of energy and difficulties to move .
- A weight loss can be observed, as a dull coat.
In case the stool is absent or almost, over a period of more than 36 hours, you are dealing with a vital emergency . Your veterinarian must intervene quickly to unblock the intestinal transit, caused by a ball of hair . In any case anything other than a passenger block. Your cat may, in addition, suffer from dehydration .
If you do not see any improvement despite the extra fiber , then here too, do not hesitate to consult. A prompt management allows your cat to escape more easily.
Note that it is inadvisable to give liquid petroleum paraffin to your pet, which could develop oily pneumonia (rare) if he does not swallow it properly.
In the most severe cases, your veterinarian will perform additional tests such as a digital rectal exam and an x-ray of the abdomen . This will allow him to adapt his treatment that can be medicated or in the form of colon cleansing.