Tips for canine massage
Posted on October 08 2018
It is easy and pleasant to see all the pleasure and well-being that caresses provide to dogs. These are a form of massage. In the same way that massage is good for humans, it brings a lot of benefits to our doggies. What are the benefits of canine massage? Which dogs can benefit? How to properly massage your pet? We will try to answer your questions in these few lines.
The benefits of massage are innumerable, both physically and physiologically as well as nervous , mental and emotional . This is only valid for us humans. Animals are also concerned, especially dogs, who can deal with a variety of small and big problems every day. If relaxation and appeasement are sought in the first place, massage (or massage) his dog is beneficial to the latter in more than one respect. When this treatment is performed with the appropriate gestures and frame, its results are immediately palpable.
What are the benefits of canine massage
The term massage refers to all techniques and processes based on manual action on the body, in order to soothe various types of tension.
Whether it is pressure, compression, kneading or effleurages, these gestures promote relaxation , comfort and, in the case of osteopathy, for example, stimulate the body's self - healing abilities. . If massages do not replace veterinary care, they complement them effectively.
The dog can benefit at several levels : activation of blood and lymphatic circulation, relief of muscle and joint pain (including osteoarthritis), reduce stress, reduce the effects of physical and emotional trauma, promote healing after surgery , accompany a treatment, improve the quality of sleep ...
Which dogs is the massage aimed at?
All dogs can enjoy the many benefits of massage, regardless of their physical or emotional characteristics and their lifestyle. The massage is of great help to dogs for work , such as those working as guides for the blind, rescuers, hunters, shepherd dogs, police forces or armies, sports dogs.
It is the same for pet dogs who may suffer various ailments. This is particularly the case of doggies that have undergone surgery, the elderly who face the effects of old age and females who have had particularly difficult gestations and births . Dogs that for one reason or another do not benefit from sufficient activitieswhile suffering the physical and psychological consequences, there is also a real relief. It also strengthens the dog's immune defenses. Finally, canine massage can bring real changes in the behavior of the dog to make it calmer, more agile or more cheerful (depending on its character).
How to massage your dog?There are veterinarians trained in canine massage and specialists such as osteopaths who can be solicited for this care. You can also do it yourself, which can only strengthen your links . For that, proceed as following :
- In calm, take the time to caress the dog for a long time to get him to relax. Start with successive caresses on his favorite areas (shoulders, back, chest ...), then concentrate on the head .
- Go to the neck , on which you will make circular movements with the fingers. Press without exaggeration.
- Gradually move to the shoulders down the neck. The area is inaccessible for the dog, it will greatly appreciate this care.
- Go down to the chest , taking care not to press too much. If your dog is used to being handled at the front paws , stimulate them. Otherwise, go to the back.
- Start with the area between the shoulders and move along the back , always in circular motions.
- Conclude the massage by the hind legs , from the base of the tail to the end of the hind limbs.