Wash your cat: How and Why?
Posted on December 13 2018
Naturally clean, your cat may still need a good wash once in a while. When should it be washed? How? Is it good for his coat, his health? What precautions? Our tips and tricks for a bath without a hitch.
Your cat does not like water? Yet, he is a brewmaster when he starts. In reality, your cat is fascinated by water but does not like to dip its legs. Unless you're used to it since you were little. In this case, your cat might enjoy going under the hot water of the bath then see his coat being dried.
In which case to wash his cat?At first sight, your cat performs very well on his own. He only rarely needs a bath. However, it can be useful in several situations:
- Your cat comes back from outside and is covered with mud , dust . Even the most thorough lechages will not be enough to give him a flawless coat.
- Your cat is of the breed of naked cats, like the Sphynx , or it is a cat with long hairs and he could have the rest of his stool hooked to his coat.
- Your cat often participates in cat shows . He will need a silky hair to get the Grail.
Some people recommend washing their cat to make it easier to shed dead hair , eliminate some pests or simply to maintain the fur.
Accessories for washing your catBefore bathing your cat, you will need several accessories that you will need to access quickly. Because the bath of a cat can quickly become a real fight if your animal has not been accustomed very young, or if he feels some fear of the water.
- Install a non-slip , non-slip mat or towel in the sink or basin for your cat to cling.
- Take with you a very soft washcloth .
- Use a special shampoo for cat. The latter does not have the same pH as the human and would see its skin be attacked with a classic shampoo, based on chemical and perfume.
- A towel nearby.
- The bath water should not exceed 37 ° C . However, do not hesitate to heat the bathroom or the room that will be used to bathe your cat, especially in winter.
Some advocate not to immerse your cat in a bath, but to wet him as if he was taking a shower.
Give the bathBefore you dip your cat in his bath, or pour water, you must brush , comb and eventually untangle the hair. Then:
- Place your cat on the non-slip mat located at the bottom of the sink, in the bath or shower.
- In order not to spray your cat with too much water flow, put a filter on the shower head or the container with which you wash your cat. For example, this can be a washcloth .
- Wet your cat gently.
- Take the shampoo in your hand and clean the dirty parts. Avoid getting your ears wet.
- Wash his head with a wipe .
- Rinse your cat, always with delicacy .
- Wipe your cat with a towel that will mop up all the water. It is inadvisable to prefer to dry your cat with a hair dryer , more traumatic.
- Let your cat recover from his emotions, perfect his toilet in the heated room, to prevent him from getting cold, because his sebum layer is not resistant to shampoos.
In addition, you can prefer the use of dry shampoo for your cat. This avoids wetting your cat. The foam solution removes all impurities. Do not hesitate to get closer to your veterinarian.
In summaryYour cat does not necessarily need baths normally. His toilet is enough for him. Under certain conditions, washing it is however necessary. If your cat is used to contact with water, it should not be difficult. In the opposite case, he could struggle with the idea of getting wet.
In the bath, you can only wet it with a simple bowl poured on it. You will have to be delicate in all phases of your bath. Do not forget to heat the room upstream, to pour water at 37 ° C, to put a specific shampoo for cat, to dry it preferably with a towel and not a hair dryer.
Washing your cat yourself is ideal if it competes in feline shows, whether it is purebred cat or long haired.