What if your dog has been poisoned?

Posted on October 11 2018

What if your dog has been poisoned?

Despite all our precautions, our dogs are never totally safe from poisoning. They can ingest a poisonous substance (household product, food undigested by dogs, etc.) or be trapped by malicious people who throw them meatballs containing poison.

In either case, you have to react quickly . For this, it is important to know how to detect specific symptoms .

Here's how to do it in 3 steps ...

1/3. Observe its appearance

1. Inspect the inside of his mouth

The gums and tongue of your dog should be pale or pink more or less dark. If they are blue, white, bright red or purple, take them to the veterinarian.

Another test: lift the upper lip, press lightly over the canine with your thumb, then release. After 2 seconds, the color of the gum should change from white to pink. If it lasts more than 3 seconds, contact the veterinarian.

2. Examine his pulse

Put your hand on the left side of his chest, behind his elbow. Count the number of beats for 15 seconds, then multiply by 4 to determine the number of beats per minute. If it is greater than 180, take it to the vet.

3. Take the temperature

Insert the rectal thermometer to take its temperature. If it is above normal (between 38.3 and 39.2 ° C in the dog) and you notice an abnormal condition, consult the veterinarian. A fever does not necessarily mean poisoning, but it can be an indicator.

2/3. Observe unusual behaviors

1. Observe his balance

In most cases, poisoning quickly affects the nervous system. The dog may lose balance, have difficulty walking properly or even stand up. If you notice signs of dizziness or disorientation, call your veterinarian.

2. Vomiting and diarrhea

Vomiting and diarrhea means that the dog's body is trying to reject a foreign body or toxic substance. If your dog's vomit and stool feel unusual, take him to the vet.

3. Watch his breathing

If your dog is breathing deeply and sustainably (more than 30 minutes), a respiratory or cardiac disorder, possibly resulting from poisoning, may be suspected. Consult without delay.

4. Watch his appetite

If your dog shows a significant drop in appetite or refuses to feed, take him to the vet.

3/3. Maximize the chances of successful care

1. Make some arrangements that will make the veterinarian's job easier. Record the symptoms in writing

Note the signs observed and the time of their occurrence. Describe them with as much detail as possible.

In the meantime, do not give your dog anything to drink so as not to accelerate the spread of poison in his body.

2. Determine the source

Go around the house, see if a box, jar or bottle has been spilled or disemboweled. If you suspect a particular product, read its label for its composition. Toxic products typically include a help desk phone number to call.

3. Call the veterinarian or call the poison control center number

Dial the green number of the poison control center in your area. Contact your veterinarian and describe the symptoms and schedules as noted previously. Follow the instructions he has given you while waiting for his arrival or take him to his office.

4. Drive it to the veterinary clinic

The sooner you get there, the sooner your dog will be cared for and the greater the chances of recovery.

Recent Posts