Why your dog should use insect repellent
Posted on April 10 2018
With the arrival of spring , the arrival of mosquitoes and flies also begins .
As you know, these insects are a nuisance for you and also for your dog , since they never leave him alone when he tries to sleep. While the hair helps keep them from leaving them like humans with sweet blood that looks like they have measles, mosquitoes do sting your dog.
Mosquitoes are also a source of transmission of many diseases for dogs , the most common and most serious being the parasite or heartworm or heatworm that can cost the life of your dog. This parasite is very common in the United States and other parts of the world and is caused by the parasite Dirofilaria immitis that lives in the heart, lungs and blood vessels of dogs and although it is detected and treated, it usually leaves health consequences for the rest of their lives.
That is why preventing a mosquito from being bitten is SO IMPORTANT . The way in which this parasite passes from dog to dog is when a mosquito bites an infected dog and in the blood is taken to the eggs of the parasite that live in the dog's blood. When they bite another dog, in 10 or 14 days these eggs become larvae and in 6 months in an adult worm that can live up to 7 years in the dog.
The best way to prevent this from happening is by taking care that the mosquitoes do not want to get close to your dog and for that you can use a pet repellent. It is important that it is for pets and not human, because the most common substance that exists in human repellents ( DEET ) is toxic for your dog. Actually DEET is also toxic to you but you do not lick it and your dog always licks its skin.